We’re 8 days into 2o18, and I’m already behind.
Because OF COURSE.
A few years ago, I began taking inventory of the previous 12 months and posting my intentions for the new year on the first day of the year.
Nope, it didn’t happen.
But you know what? That’s okay. Because it was merely an “intention” to do so… not a resolution.
Quick explanation: This started because I have never been a fan of the term “resolutions.” Because, well, I’m not resolute about much. However, I would be mistaken to say I don’t ever think about things I intend to do the following year. So instead, I annually post my “intentions.” This gives me freedom with them, so if they get done – great! But if not, no biggie. Because LIFE, ya know?
I do feel it’s important to look back in order to know where you came from in order to know where you’re going, to know what was important the following year and what is important now.
So before starting this post, I looked back at last year’s to
copy and paste reflect. 😉 *wink*
My 2017 Inventory:
- In 2017, I gained lots of knowledge and insight into an industry I’m slowly making my way into.
- I lost a lot of motivation for things that didn’t used to need much motivation at all.
- I started off with great, big plans to do all and be all … but ended up having to say “no” way more than I wanted to.
- I stopped expecting more of people than they could give. This turned out for the best, because then nobody was disappointed.
- I was hugely satisfied by the new neighborhood we moved to last fall.
- And frustrated by my terrible memory.
- I am so embarrassed by nothing. This is me, my life, my way. I have nothing to be ashamed of and nothing holding me captive by shame of any sort. “There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” (Romans 8:1)
- Once again, I spent too much money on frivolous things for myself and our home.
- Once again, I wondered why I can’t just win the lottery already.
- The biggest physical difference between me last December and this December is a couple extra pounds and a lot more wrinkles and gray hair.
- The biggest psychological difference between me last December and this December is my anxiety doesn’t keep me up at night anymore.
- I loved living closer to my sisters and extended family.
- Why did I spend even two minutes things will just happen without hard work.
- I should have been better about managing my time.
- I regret the way I spoke to my kids
- I will never regret the money and time spent to attend She Speaks again.
- I cared way too much about keeping my house clean. I realize my OCD is unrealistic with 3 little kids and 4 pets.
- The most relaxing place I went was my comfy, king-sized bed… every single night. 🙂
- I did not finish the final edits on my book proposal like I’d hoped … but will soon!
- The best thing I did for myself was make a point to read for pleasure again.
- The best thing someone did for me was speak Truth, especially when I didn’t want to hear it.
- The one thing I’d like to do again, but do it better is connect with other authors.
(Fill-in-the-blank template from Mary Schmich at The Chicago Tribune).
- Sign with a publisher. EEK! 12 months and counting!
- Read 35+ books.
- Keep a steady weekly QT, bible study and writing schedule.
- Honor one full, true Sabbath day a week. (Why is this one so hard?!?)